Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saturday and No Sunday Sermon

Usually, pastor's spend Saturday making final preparations for their Sunday sermon. Ok, occasionally, we start and finish our preparation for Sunday's sermon on Saturday night. In the preaching world, this kind of sermon is called a "Saturday night special." Although, I've had my fair share of Saturday night specials, this Saturday was different. Today, i started my Saturday with a 10:00 am deacon's meeting, followed by an hour long minister's session. While waiting thirty minutes or more for my children to finish choir rehearsal, my wife showed up to pick them up, so i headed home. Once i arrived at home, i ate leftover spaghetti and started watching college football. As i watched college football, it dawned on me that it was saturday and i had no sunday sermon. Before you pass judgment, for the next three sunday's, i'm enjoying a sermon sabattical in celebration of my 5th pastoral love day. As i moved throughout the day, it felt weird spending saturday not preparing a sermon for sunday. Admittedly, at times, i felt guilty, but as the evening progressed, i felt relieved. What is a preacher-pastor to do, when he has no sunday sermon? Well, let me make one suggestion, take advantage of it!!!

5 comments:

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Hello my Son/my Son's good friend/Pastor Lane,
It is good to see you here. I wondered where you were. I am anxious to read some of your thoughts and passions through this blogging experience. Please drop by my place real soon and leave a comment.

Well, how did it go today? Did you have a sermon?:-) My Pastor has done the same thing forgetting both mid-week bible study AND Sunday (not in the same week). Those were one of the best among many presentations of the word he has done. Hitting from the hip proves to be a blessing in the end. Praise God!

I am putting you on my list of Bloggoteers and will be checking in on you. My regards to Dorothea. Take care. Be blessed.

Mother

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

Well said Brother Pastor. Yes, "take advantage of it." Rest is a vital part of the process and so often we, as preacher/pastors, are guilty of not resting our minds, bodies and spirits. It is just good every now and then to just "chill out" and enjoy the Saturday game day. God bless you son.
Pastor W.L.Pullam

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Welcome to this community of bloggers. I can already tell that you will be a tremendous asset to us all. Looking forward to reading your thoughts and experiences.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

My friend, let me say that I have just noted your presence in the blog world and glad to know that you are hear. There are rich reservoirs of development and maturity that comes as a result of these great medium. I look forward to reading more of your blogs; and enjoying the growth I will experience as a result. I hope and pray that all is well. We haven't talked in a while; but you and the family are always in my prayers.

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Brother Pastor... I have come to thoroughly appreciate those times of rest and relaxation. Of course, out of a love for the word and it's exposition, we often still want to preach deep down on the inside. Man... Speaking of "Saturday Night Specials." I ended up in that "Lane" on yesterday. God was faithful, but I STRONGLY dislike doing that.

Thanks for sharing and we are all looking forward to this "blog-o-ship."

Kevin