Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Stewardship

The Pastor/Preacher, especially in the African-American church is widely and ignorantly sterotyped as being money lovers. Over the years, I have heard my share of saints and aint's, but mostly saints, who purport the notion that all the Black Pastor/Preacher wants is the churches money. I must confess that there have been times when this sterotype has been true of some black and some white ministers. However, in a larger demographic context, this sterotype is simply untrue. There are countless Pastors/Preachers across this nation, black and white, who faithfully fulfill their calling and stewardship responsibilities without regards to money. Speaking from an African- American perspective and as an African-American Pastor, most African-American churches fall short, when it comes to their stewardship responsibility towards their Pastor. This in no way justifies the behavior of a few, but it does offer a talking point as why some feel tempted to do so. I believe, that if more congregations understood their biblical stewardship responsibility towards their Pastors and more Pastors taught biblical stewardship to their congregations, the number of ministers who are tempted to steal money will be greatly reduced. I believe biblical stewardship must become a priority of both pastor and people.  I further believe that those pastors and congregations who fully understand their stewardship responsibilities towards each other will be more fruitful for the kingdom. Fellow pastors, remember that we have no earthly union rep or lobbyist, but we do have God's word. I have discovered in my limited tenure in pastoral ministry that if we take care of God's buisness, he will take care of our buisness. So preach on preachers!!!

2 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Bro. Pastor,

This post is well put! I appreciate the candor and conviction in which you wrote it. My prayer is that due honor is given to those who faithfully preach God's Word. Thanks!

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Firstly thank you for the kind words that you left on my blog and I welcome you to this world of blogging and to our blogging fraternity.

That is a great post and I concur with you greatly, as I do believe that if we take care of God's business, he will take care of us.

I am concerned and I hope to post a blog about this myself, about this thing of charging for the Gospel. Again great post and welcome.

Lance