Sunday, October 26, 2008

Frustrated Worshipper

I know that worship is a lifestyle and is not restricted to the sanctuary. However, every sunday, I look forward to corporate worship with my Matthian family. Ok, I must confess that there have been a few occassions, when I wanted to stay home and enjoy the warmth of my bed. But on this Lord's Day, I was truly excited about corporate worship and was eager to continue our sermon series, "Be-Attitudes". I mean, I woke up perky, I offered a word of thanksgiving, showered and tuned into the live broadcast of Pastor H. B. Charles, Jr. I was fired up and then corporate worship begun and so did my frustration. My frustration was the result of a fading microphone system, a dragging song service, poor worship flow and not to mention a lukewarm atmosphere. 

As a worship leader, I believe that the over all worship service should communiticate the gospel of Jesus Christ and not just certain aspects of the worship service. Therefore, I believe every aspect of the worship service should be carefully planned with allowance for the Holy Spirit to breathe upon it. I believe that every aspect of the worship should move towards a central theme or message for that particular Lord's day. I know that certain aspects of the worship service carries more weight than other parts of the worship services with those who attend worship services any given sunday. But, I contend that the average visiting worshiper, weighs the over all message of the worship service as a decisive factor for church membership.

Well, how does a preacher overcome his personal frustration and offer his preachment as an act of worship to the Lord? Prayer and faith. Pray for spiritual focus and trust the providence of God. I thank God for the spiritual discipline of prayer and the assurance of answered prayer. The Lord answered my prayer and I was glad about it.

Here is the message outline for message #3 in the sermon series entitled, "Be-Attitudes."

Be Ye Transformed
Romans 12:1-2
Thesis: God commands believers in Jesus Christ to participate in their own spiritual transformation by placing their lives at his disposal once and for all.

Transitional Sentence: Spiritual Transformation that results in holy living and services to God, requires..., requires that we... and it requires that our...

I. Absolute Commitment of Self-(1)
   A. The Motivation for our Commitment-(mercies of God)
   B. The Measurement for our Commitment-(living, holy and acceptable)
   C. The Mentality of our Commitment-(reasonable service)

II. Avoid Conformity to Society-(2a)
   A. Avoid Conformity to the Pressures of Society
   B. Avoid Conformity to the Patterns of Society
   C. Avoid Conformity to the Passions of Society

III. Attitude Changes Spiritually-(2b)
   A. A Spiritual Attitude is Demanded by the Word of God
   B. A Spiritual Attitude is the Divine Work of God
   C. A Spiritual Attitude Discerns the Will of God

5 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

I know the feeling all too well my brother. Stay Encouraged. Your outline on Romans 12:1-2 is outstanding. Thanks!

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Rev. that is an outstanding outline. One of the best I have seen on that text. You are some preacher.

Each of us are dealing with personal frustrations in ministry. The only way to accomplish our assignment to preach the truth to the poor, KEEP PREACHING. Preach your way out of your funk and watch God honor your faithfulness. God be praised!

Lance

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Doc Lane... I KNOW exactly what you are talking about. I felt MUCH the same way on yesterday. Maybe it was something in the atmosphere of our city. It wasn't "dead" but something was missing. Be encouraged my brother. Your outline is solid and sound. With well-thought, well-suplicated, worshipful word such as this, there is NO way the atmosphere can remain the same. Yes, there will just be those who struggle with being able to "worship Him in spirit and in truth." However, every congregation will take on the heart and spirit of the Pastor in time. You are a good brother. You have continually "studied to shew yourself approved unto God..." I realize that your frustration is bred mostly in a love for and desire to do God's will. He will honor your stewarship in, what I see, one of two ways. 1) He will manifest a people and position of change in "Mathiansville" or 2) He will assign you to a place and people who are ready for it...

Well, I have probably said to much already. But, look at H.B. God specializes at blessing us in our faithful stewardship. Your time is vastly and swiftly approaching. Just "preach a little" my friend. Your frustration is a "healthy" one.

Your Brother,
Kev

Fitts said...

Great post my bro, I feel your pain. I believe next week will be different.

By the way, Great outline!!

Keep up the good work!

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Preacher/Pastor/Brother/Friend...I do undertand your sentiment and echo them whole-heartedly. You are always in my prayers. By the way-where do you guys get these outlines? Awesome!!!